Thursday, April 16, 2009

Torn between two worlds

Torn between two worlds.
by Tina M Clark
On one,
My family and friends
It's a place I know.
A place I've always been.
A secure place.

Where love and acceptance is a given!
My place,
My Values,
My goals,
have grown and risen.
A place I thought to live
until I was very very old.


On the other there is us,
and a love I cherish and hold dear.
Someone to be with me
through my "golden years"!
I think to say goodbye to the first
and embrace the other,
But,
Fear rises up
strong enough to smother.
I know not what to do!
Once I was a wife
then just 3 son's Mother.

The Distance is great
many long miles between,
the thoughts of the first
shakes my faith in the other.
You see,
I know the rules
what to expect
being nothing but
mother
or grandmother.

I've tested those waters
and found them soothing.
They wash over me
and settle into a shimmering pool.
I can choose to swim deep
without any fear.
When I surface
its always the same....

My family,
My life,
My hopes,
My dreams,
and they all felt so serene.

I'm caught between one
and the other.
In the middle, I see both.
My heart misses one
and longs for the other!
Is there no way to have both!?

So, still the tears flow
for this world I may never know!

For this love I may have to let go.

In the story Power, Omishito is torn between the life of her Taiga tribe and the real life. It can be hard to believe in something when your surroundings are pulling you another way and especially if there is no proof. In Clark's poem, she is describing how she torn between her many lives of being a mother, wife and even grandmother. It can be hard to be one thing, then wake up the next morning as someone else. You slowly begin to lose "yourself." I think Omishito wants to make her Aunt Ama happy, so she really tries to follow Ama's beliefs. On the other hand, Omishito goes to school and learns so many new things with evidence to back them up. At Omishito's stage of life, this is when you begin to really think about what is true and what is not true. This is also the time when you begin to truly find who you are by understanding your beliefs and what you know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment